Which Visual Studio edition should I use?

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM

You'll have to excuse this question, I'm coming over from iOS and really struggling to get started.
I've tried a few versions of Visual Studio:
VS 2010 Express for Windows Phone
VS 2012 Express for Web
VS 2012 Ultimate Edition
I get errors with all of them. Ranging from errors about solution folders not being supported to those saying that I need to use the same version that the project was developed with (what was that?), the error provides a link that leads to Microsoft.
I'm developing on Windows 7 so VS 2012 for Windows Phone is blocked from install.
Any suggestions to get me going?

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Nevermind, I have it working now.

I used VS 2010 Express for WP and installed NuGet tool, I was misled by the NuGet in .nuget/NuGet.exe to think it was already around. Anyway, adding that and fiddling around abit seems to have it working.

I'd like to thank Laurie Brown for pointing me in the right direction.

-- Dan 

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:46 AM

thanks ive been having issues - lack of being used to using other peoples code - my own games compile and run ok - i had issues getting this to work in VS12 on Win 8 - I'll try NuGet 

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM

yep I'm using the XNA version and its always moaning about not having a couple of DLL's NodeGardenLib and NodeGardenXNALib

I've built one and moved it into the direcory - but it YEARS sinceive used VS :) like over 10 years :) 

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Hey Guess what when i FOLLOWED the instructions it works - used Connect rather than downloading the source

NUget fixed the errors, though i cant jsut open the XNA project on its own that fails.

and when i open it as the whole package theres no optioin to run on device?

thicko of hoxton sq